Tuesday, March 17, 2009

4 Leaf clovers




As I came in from taking Olivia to school I realized that today is St. Patricks Day. I don't celebrate St. Patricks day in any special way and didn't think about sending her to school in green ( she has on blue). I don't know if school children still pinch you if you're not wearing green or if that "tradition" is lost in time with so many other old school ideas. Nonetheless I began thinking about 4 leaf clovers. Looking for 4 leaf clovers is one of my favorite things to do. If you've never tried to find one, you should. Honestly I can walk up to a patch of clover and just by glancing over them I can spot a four or sometimes five leaf clover. This is a "talent" passed down from my mom to me and now Olivia can do it. It's all about patience and having fun. When Olivia and I are outside playing we are always drawn to the clover patches. We'll take the clover we find inside and press them in our Bibles. I went through my Bible this morning and pulled out some of the clover we've found to show you. Two of them have 5 leafs on them. Olivia is always over joyed to find a 5 leaf clover because those are so rare. It's a simple thing that has brought me, my mom, and my daughter together. I have to share this story. The last summer my dad was alive mom, Olivia and I were in my parents front yard looking for 4 leaf clovers. My dad was sitting on their porch swing watching us. He heard me struggling with the words to the "clover song" mom used to sing, all I knew was the tune. My sweet daddy sang that song for us over and over until I learned it. Now I will never forget it; nor will I forget that day. Here are the words for you.

I'M LOOKING OVER A FOUR-LEAF CLOVER
Art Mooney

Words by Mort Dixon, Written in 1927 - popularized in 1948 by Art Mooney

I'm looking over a four-leaf clover
That I overlooked before.
One leaf is sunshine, the second is rain,
Third is the roses that grow in the lane.
No need explaining, the one remaining
Is somebody I adore.
I'm looking over a four-leaf clover
That I overlooked before

Many blessings today. Remember it's the simple God given things in this world that matter. Like spending time with a child looking for a four leaf clover or singing a silly song. Don't be afraid to be who you are and to love this life our Lord has given us.

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy