Thursday, July 23, 2009

Let go and Let God

James 4:7-10 (New King James Version)


7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.


These were the words I read Tuesday morning while sitting at the kitchen table having my quiet time. I have to admit tears came flowing down as I read from my bible. I wasn't expecting tears, but they came. I began to pray for the Lord to show me what I was holding onto? What was I being double-minded about? You know God revealed it to me quickly and it wasn't just ONE thing. I had to confess a couple of sins that I didn't even think of as sin. One sin is the sin of MY control vs. God's control. I like to think I can do it on my own. I'll share an example: my Livie hasn't been sleeping good (she wakes almost every night) and calls out to me (therefore I have to get up in the night which makes for a grumpy mom). I asked for prayer from my Sunday school class and two friends recommended I try Melatonin from the vitamin and herb section. I bought it on Sunday and gave it to her and she went right to sleep only to wake up in the night twice. I gave it to her again on Monday and even though it made her sleepy at first she still woke in the night. On Tuesday I read the above scripture with my devotion and I felt very convicted. I said Lord I haven't really given this request of her sleeping /waking to you. So I confessed my quickness to jump ahead of the Lord. Last night my mom said she'd be praying for us to sleep good. I told her I had given it to the Lord and that I trust his plan for our sleep (whether it be for us to actually sleep all night or wake up). I didn't give my daughter the melatonin. She and I read her quiet time book ( that we started back with this week) and we prayed and after a little conversation she went to sleep. I went to bed and slept until Chris's alarm went off this morning. Now to me that is a huge praise and answer to prayer. I confessed my sin of wanting to be in control of our sleep and the Lord in his mercy gave us both a peaceful sleep. I have to remember that God loves Olivia more than I do. He loves me and he cares about our rest. He is in control; not ME. What have I learned from this? this trial caused us to start reading her devotion book and doing our mommy / daughter quiet time again. We put it down when school was out and I thought we'd just pick it back up when school starts ( why would I have done that? she needs that time just as much as I do?). Maybe the Lord used this sleep issue to wake me up to my slackness ? All I know is that being obedient to the Lord and bringing up my daughter in His word is what is important to me. Thank you Lord for waking me up to show me the error of my ways. I love you Lord and I love the person reading this. Please father be with them and lead and guide them as only you can.

When you are facing something and you want the Lord to help be sure to completely give the situation to him and trust him. Let go and Let God. He has our best in mind.

Go be a blessings ...

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy