Tuesday, February 2, 2016

One mystery after the next ...

I have always been an open book, but lately I have kept some things private. For months I have struggled with what I thought was low blood sugar.  I would feel faint and assume that if I just ate something I'd feel better.  A few years ago my doctor had me test my blood sugar daily for 2 weeks.  I had to record everything that I ate and what my sugar levels were.  My sugar levels seemed to be where they needed to be, but to be safe my doctor decided to do a 3 month A1C test.  I enjoyed the sweets of Halloween candy, the bulk of Thanksgiving foods, my birthday cake and Christmas treats. Yes after the three months of October, November and December he checked my A1C and again it was good.  I was thrilled to find out that I was NOT a diabetic. I kept the testing kit and from time to time would check my sugar ( just for curiosity).  Fast forward to last summer when I began struggling with a faint feeling.  Sometimes it would happen after I stood up or when I finished working out. Sometimes my sugar would be low and I'd eat and feel somewhat better; other times it would be normal.  I pursued my doctor and had blood work on 2 occasions, an  EKG. We really chalked it up as low blood sugar and left it at that. I was not satisfied as the holidays came around and I found that Olivia was having to go out and buy most of the Christmas gifts as I didn't have the energy.  Once the new year rolled around I decided to make some changes and get to the bottom of this health mystery.  I was considering going to a new doctor and having fresh eyes check out my symptoms.  I guess that's what needed to happen since I ended up with a trip to the cardiologist and another EKG.  Since my brother Jeff passed at 53 of a massive heart attack he wanted to do the heart cath that I had last week.  It wasn't a bad procedure and the staff took good care of me.  I especially liked nurse Chuck who brought me a Klondike bar when I got back to recovery.  The cardiologist said I had no blockages and my vein/arteries look great !!  I was thrilled to hear such good news. That still doesn't explain why I feel the way I do, but we are working on ruling out my heart.  Now I have to wear a heart monitor for 30 days, then return to the cardiologist to go over the results.  This is step two in the process of trying to solve my health mystery; trying to figure out why I feel faint at random times and why I have low energy when I really shouldn't.  For instance a trip to the grocery store wears me out; I don't think it should.  Speaking of grocery shopping, let me interject a funny story right here.


My 16 year old daughter got a snake for Christmas. Yes, I always said that we would NOT have a snake in our home and I told her when she left for college she could get a one.  Well back on December 19th I found myself at Immediate Care.  I had walked a mile and half that morning, had scrambled eggs, tomato and almonds for breakfast. I rested for about 30 minutes then got in the shower.  No sooner than I got in the shower I felt like I'd pass out.  I had to hop out fairly quickly and sit down. My stomach was out of whack and I was nauseated.  I asked Chris to take me to Urgent Care where they did an EKG and other tests. The results were normal and the doctor said I could have had an episode of Vasovagal. She gave me some tips and told me to follow up with my family doctor.  Olivia had driven over to the Immediate Care office and was waiting when Chris and I came out.  She saw that I was okay and wondered if we'd follow her over to Pet Smart to see something ( a snake) she wanted for Christmas.  Oh my goodness !!! Was she kidding me? I just had my heart checked and she's asking for a snake !!! I had planned to sit in the car, but when I found out she wanted a snake I had to make the effort to go inside and check this out.  Once I saw how small the snake was (it looked like a glorified, colorful worm ) I gave my okay for the purchase ( I was ready to get back home).  So it turns out Ember the snake didn't bother me as much as I thought he would and I have come to "like" him.  I've even held him.  He is in a locked, glass aquarium with two lights on top.  Just recently one of the lights got moved from the spot it should have been sitting on.  Due to that movement it warped the lid, thus making a very small opening.

Fast forward to this past Saturday and my first trip out since my heart cath.  I was in Ingles with Chris shopping for a few grocery items.  I had gotten tired and was actually sitting on one of the food counters when my cell phone rings.  It was Olivia so I answered it.  She began with, "Mom we have a really big problem here at home"?? I asked her to tell me what was going on so she said she went to take Ember, the snake, out of the cage to show her friend Kacey ( my other daughter :) but Ember was no where to be found.  She said she took all of the bedding out of the cage and looked everywhere.  I told her to keep looking and we'd be home soon.  Remember how grocery shopping wears me out on a good day? Yeah, well at this point I really needed to go sit down.  We came home and I looked through all of her drawers (unfolding clothes to see if Ember had curled up somewhere warm) no luck !!! Day turned into night and we were going to sleep not knowing where the snake was hiding.  Olivia slept in her room with the door shut so Sunny our cat couldn't catch and kill Ember while we were sleeping  ( remember this was her Christmas gift and it, nor the aquarium came cheap), we wanted to find this snake for more than one reason.  Smart Olivia googled what to do when your corn snake escapes.  It said to put a heating pad on the floor with food and water for your snake and then put baby powder around the edges.  This way if the snake comes to eat you will see his trail.  So she did that and sure enough Sunday morning the food she left for him was gone and there was a trail, but we did not find the snake.  We did, however, know that he was in her room, he was alive and he did eat.  That was Sunday morning.

Sunday evening Chris and I drove to Washington Baptist Church in Pelzer to hear Charles Billingsley sing.  He is one of our favorite singers.  I usually call the church or venue that he is coming to ahead of time to see if it's a ticketed event.  This time since I'd been in the hospital and had a crazy week I didn't do that, we just went.  Well, when we got to the church there was a long line waiting to get inside.  I heard the woman in front of me talking about her ticket.  I tapped her shoulder and asked if this were a ticketed event and she said yes.  I asked if you could buy tickets at the door and she said did not know.  She said they had a few they were selling in the foyer that morning.  I looked at Chris and said, what are we going to do? A few moments later I over heard a man behind me saying he had two extra tickets.  I turned and asked to buy them and explained how we had driven almost an hour to get there and didn't know we needed a ticket.  He was so kind he just gave them to us.  We tried to pay him, but he said he was glad we could use them ( it was a divine appointment he said).  So he handed us two tickets worth $14.  We proceeded to the concert and had a wonderful evening.  He was a blessing.


We drove home and got in close to 10:00 p.m.  Since it was bedtime I went to change out from my day heart monitor to my night one. The picture on the left shows the monitor on the charger and the tape that I have to place on my chest ( I keep them charging next to my bed).  They snap on and off and I wear it just above my heart. The tape stays on for 3 days, but I change the monitor's out twice a day.  It's a little painful snapping the new ones on, but it's what I have to do for 30 days.  Here's to much information, but it's what makes the story funny. I was standing next to my bed with only my panties on (I was about to put on my gown), but I had to switch out the monitor first.  As I am standing there unsnapping the day monitor, Sunny our cat comes by and is very interested with something under my night stand.  I immediately called Chris to come and bring a light.  I proceeded to take care of changing out my monitor while he finds the snake in the corner. I called Olivia to come get her pet.  So I am half naked with a heart monitor on while she is retrieving a snake from not only our bedroom, but under MY night stand.  Lord help me. LOL  The night before Sunny had slept close to my head ... I am really thankful for my cat.  I think he's looking out for me.  It will be interesting to see what kind of results were recorded on my heart monitor that night.

So this is long and personal and quirky, but it's my life.  I love Chris and Olivia and all of our pets and crazy days.  I am so thankful for them. Chris has been by my side and taken such good care of me through all of this.  Sweet Olivia has folded laundry, ran errands, and even blow dried my hair for me.  I am a blessed woman.  My face book friends sent so many sweet and encouraging posts, texts and private messages.  I even got some snail mail ( which I love)!  I can't remember when I have felt prayers more than during this time.  I am so grateful to each person who has prayed for me.  Thank you from the bottom of my excellent heart.

Much love and prayers for you always,

Susan

P.S. That opening on the snakes cage has been duct taped !!!!

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy