Friday, September 5, 2008

Loving the Unlovely

Do you know why we are here? The Bible tells us that Jesus commissioned believers to continue His work on earth—sharing the good news about Father’s saving grace (Matt. 28:19). Following this command isn’t easy when we come across people whose lifestyle is distasteful to us. It often feels more convenient to befriend someone who shares our values. Yet a lost man or woman may be led to restoration through a Christian friend or acquaintance.

Jesus got involved with men and women whom society avoided. He ate dinner with tax collectors (Matt. 9:10; Luke 19:5) and gently spoke His message of hope to an adulterous woman (John 4:7-27). And to anyone shocked by His associations, the Lord explained that He “did not come to call the righteous, but sinners” (Mark 2:17). ~taken from Charles Stanley Intouch devotional.

Oh did the Lord step on my toes with those words. How many times do we (I) avoid eye contact with folks who look a little "scary" for lack of a better word. Those are the very people we should say hello to and give a smile too. I'll never forget being in Ingles once and smiling at an elderly man as he approached me. He stopped and looked right into my eyes and said; "I had the prettiest smile and it just made his day". Well, of course what happened was he had just made my day. We never know what a small act of kindness can do for another person. I know if Jesus were on earth today, He’d be ministering to the needy, the addicted, and the downtrodden. I want to be like Him. If you pray for me, pray that I'll be more like Jesus. Thank you.

I want my daughter to be like him. Please pray for my Olivia as she is in her new school as a witness for the Lord. She has always been in a Christian school where Jesus was taught openly; now she is the one teaching (so to speak) as she shares her faith with her friends. Christian school was a good foundation for her, but for now I think public school is her mission field.

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy