Sunday, December 21, 2008

Old sayings and nuts

There's a saying on my flip calendar that reads: Families are like fudge... mostly sweet, with a few nuts. I don't know why, but I really like that saying. I guess because there are many "nuts" in my family. Our issues go way back. I have distant relatives who were so quirky it is hard to believe they lived the way my mom described them. My great aunt Bessie was a sweet lady who enjoyed company, but apparently her 3 old maid siblings did not. When they saw someone walking up their sidewalk they would pull the shades down and shut and lock the doors. Whoever rang the bell or knocked at the door was ignored until the visitor gave up and left. How unusual was that? Mom said they wouldn't receive guests unless they were expecting them.

Let's move on to "old wives tails". Surely someone in your family told them to you when you were growing up.

Here are some my mom told me when I was growing up. Did you know if:

you are a single girl and someone sweeps under your feet with a broom, you'll never get married?

Coffee will stunt your growth.

Cats can steal the air from a baby's mouth.

If you go outside with wet hair, you'll catch a cold. *(I believe this one)

If you cross your eyes, they'll stay that way.

Cracking knuckles causes arthritis.

I know for a fact that when my left index finger hurts we're in for a cold spell:-)

I guess by now you are thinking "where is she going with this"? To be honest I don't know. I just like to share tiny bits of my life ... this is my history, this is part of what makes up me. I have a 9 year old daughter who some days doesn't seem to like anything about me. The other day she asked me to help her make a blog :-) Can you believe it she wanted a blog? She wants to be just like ME. I pray daily that I will be a light for Jesus, because that little girl is examining me through a microscope. When I slip up; she let's me know it. She is so precious to me. When she looks at my life I want her to see Jesus in me. We're making history right now and I feel so very blessed to have her. Time is flying ... literally by the minute. Enjoy your children, make memories. Go outside and jump rope and play ball. Act like a kid. Act like a nut. Yes, families are like fudge ... mostly sweet, with a few nuts. How boring life would be if we didn't have a few nuts.

God bless you. Go be a blessing.

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy