Monday, December 22, 2008




This is our tree. Can you read the date on the bottom of the picture? It says November 15th 2008. Yes, our tree has been up for over a month now. Not only that, we put it in the bay window in the kitchen this year??? go figure ... Since our 9 year old doesn't believe in Santa anymore there are lots of presents wrapped and under the tree now. She has requested a Nintendo DS and asked if we get her one to leave it unwrapped ... gee someone still wants a little of that Santa surprise stuff, huh? I have to admit I always enjoyed playing Santa, but hated lying about it. A good friend of mine who was born in Germany asked me about our Santa tradition last year. She and her family don't celebrate Christmas the way we do. They don't even put up a tree until the day before Christmas and the gifts start coming after Christmas and into the New Year. Unfortunately for me she and her family are visiting Germany for Christmas this year since her parents aren't able to travel. If she were home I'd ask her to tell me again how they celebrate because it was very sweet and sacred sounding, not commercial like Santa. Don't get me wrong ... Santa is ok, but in the scheme of things Jesus is the one we should be talking about and focusing on. The way her family celebrated Christmas made Jesus the focal point. We read the Christmas story right from the Bible each year and we talk about Jesus and give thanks for his life and death and resurrection, but her celebration approached Christmas from a different angle. Since Santa isn't in our tradition this year; I want to change up the way we do things. I'm not sure how, but I'm praying about it. God will let me know what to do and when he does I'll share with you. Maybe some of you have some special ways to honor Jesus at Christmas ... let me know what you and your family do. We learn from sharing with each other.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy