Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's in a word?

What do you think of when you hear the words "Valentine's Day"? Love, hearts, candy, flowers, cards, jewelry, romance? Or maybe it's a day you dread and would rather not be reminded of. If that is the case let me help. We need to have realistic expectations about Valentine's day. WE do not live in a "TV world". If you view Valentine's day from what the TV says, then we'd all be tall and blonde wearing a tiny black dress in a over-priced restaurant, with our tall, dark and handsome man who would give us more than a dozen long stemmed roses and a huge diamond. After the meal we'd get in a limo, no a convertible sports car and drive to private beach where champagne, strawberries and a fire would await us, blah, blah, blah you get the picture???? Wake up ladies and gentlemen, WE, yes you and me, live in the real world. Let's face it there will be no little black dress, no over priced restaurant, no jewelry, no convertible and no fire by the beach. I'm going to get up on Valentine's day make breakfast for my family, enjoy the card Chris picked out for me and eat from my box of chocolate that he usually buys me. That will be it. BUT you know what that will be perfect, yes I said perfect. Because you know what? I love Chris and he loves me. You see we can't let the "unrealistic" stuff on TV belittle the precious thoughts and kind hearts of those we love. Chris had the oil changed in my car this week, that tells me he loves me. He goes to work every day and allows me to stay home and blog :-) that says, he loves me. He puts up with everything about me, the good and the bad and that says he loves me. He prays for me and that screams he loves me. Forget the stuff you see on TV ... TV isn't real. You may say; Susan me and my spouse plan to do all of the stuff you wrote about, hey that's great. BUT for the rest of us especially you girls who are home with kids, don't beat your guy up if he doesn't go overboard with stuff. Love him for taking care of you. Love him for loving you.

Ok, that's my Valentine soap box. Comments are always welcome.

I'm off to the school to volunteer. I get to help in art today and I am very excited about that :-)

Go bless someone.

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy