Tuesday, May 5, 2009

For such a time is this ...

Do you think everything happens for a reason? I am of that mind set. For instance I began praying back before Christmas about home schooling Olivia next school year(5th grade). In February the Lord confirmed for us that I should home school her. He put us in Sunday school with many home school moms and has allowed me to "run" into many others. Just last week I went on eBay and made a bid on some "A Beka" home school books (it was a set of 8 new and like new books). The bidding was to end at 1:00 a.m. and by 12:10 I had to decide on my maximum bid and go to bed. I was thrilled to find out the next morning that I had won the set. Now I am waiting for them to arrive so I can write out my lesson plans. For those of you who don't know me well, I have a degree in Elementary education and a teaching certificate. Right before I graduated college I told my parents that I had NO desire to be a school teacher. That's a tough thing to tell the two people who just sent you through 5 years of college to be a teacher ( yes I went for 5 years and changed my major a couple of times.) I wanted to be a child psychologist, but my advisor said there wasn't a big need for that and I would have a better chance finding a job if I majored in Education. Little did she know how many child psychologist the world would need!!! For years I wondered why I took her advice ... I have to say I felt like I wasted my time and my parents money. BUT now is my time to teach. The way I see it that degree prepared me for my best calling ever; to be a home schooling mom. What a blessing; God doesn't make any mistakes :-) I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I will use A Beka for Language Arts, Vocabulary, Spelling and Poetry. I think I am going to use Saxon math and I'm still unsure of History and Science. I bought a history book, but Olivia didn't like it. She has requested a more traditional History book than the new style I chose. Did you hear that? we get to choose.... this is so fantastic!! Pray for us as we'll begin the journey in late July. By the way I totally welcome advice on home schooling. This is our new journey and I am receptive to other peoples wisdom. Thanks for listening to my long story.

Go be a blessing :-)

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy