Friday, May 15, 2009

Monkey and Jaguar tails





I just finished a little sewing project for my sweet "School teacher" friend Karen. Her first grade class will be putting on a play about the Rainforest next Friday and she asked me to make the costume tails. This was a first for me! I have to say that I think the "tails" have turned out ok (considering I've never made them before). I thought I'd share this with you all in case your child some day needs a tail :-) Basically you will need fabric, a tape measure, tape, clothes hangers, cotton balls, plastic bags, pliers and scissors. Karen told me she wanted the tails 24 inches long and she liked the curve I put in the sample one, so we went with that look. Basically you cut all of your fabric the desired length. Fold it in half and sew it with the side that you want on the outside folded in. Leave the two ends open so you can turn the fabric inside out. I used plastic bags from the grocery store as filling for the tails. The bags were easy to stuff, light weight and they were FREE ! After the tails are stuffed I carefully cut a clothes hanger in half. I turned down the pointed ends with a pair of pliers and used tape to wrap and cover those ends with cotton balls ( just in case one were to poke through the child wouldn't get hurt). I ran the wire in one of the open ends of the tail to the other side. Once the wire is in place I sewed the two open ends and the tails were finished. The tail can be twisted and curved however much or little the teacher wants. It is a little time consuming at first, but once I got the hang of it and saw that my plan was working it moved along quicker. I asked her how she planned to attach them to the children and she said she had thought of using elastic. I wonder if any of you crafty people have any ideas??? I mentioned safety pinning them on, but this is where they sit so ?? I don't know that my idea is a safe one. Let me know your thoughts. I am open to ideas and even improvements on what I've done so far.

Well, I hope you have a blessed weekend. Chris and I are going to see my favorite singer, Charles Billingsley this Sunday in Belton ( I've never been to Belton, but I'll have pictures next week). http://www.charlesbillingsley.com/


Go be a blessing.



No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy