Friday, November 14, 2008

Thinking of Christmas

It seems the topic of Christmas is on every one's mind these days. The stores are all decked out with decorations and lights. One of our neighbors has already put up an outdoor snowman and garland. My inbox is bombarded with emails about keeping Christ in Christmas and which stores will wish us a Merry Christmas. All that got me to thinking about Christmas and how the world views this time of year. What is Christmas? It is the day Jesus was born. Why do we celebrate that? Because without Jesus we would have no life. He came to live and to die for us. Ok, here is the tricky part ... believing that and accepting Jesus into my heart makes me a Christian therefore Christmas means everything to me. However, a good part of our world doesn't believe that or hasn't had the opportunity to hear about Jesus and his love for them, so that would mean Christmas doesn't have any real meaning for them other than time off from work, Christmas parties and gifts. So that brings me to this thought; how would Jesus want me to celebrate Christmas ? What can I do to glorify the Lord and bring others to the knowledge of His love for them so they too can celebrate the real meaning of Christmas? The story in the Bible of Jesus birth talks of the Wise men bringing gifts to Jesus; not thoughtless gifts, but the very best. I think that is what we are to do. Put some thought into Christmas and the true meaning and bring Jesus our very best. What is Christmas to you? He is the reason for the season and we need to share that we others in a very real and loving way.

With that said, Merry Christmas ( a month early :-)

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy