Thursday, August 8, 2013

I never dreamed I'd be saying some of the things I'm going to say today :)


I never dreamed I’d be saying some of the things I am going to say today. Ok so I blogged already this week, but here I go again. You already know that on July 9th I found out I have Meniere’s disease, but I also left that doctor visit with a Freestyle blood glucose monitor.  I had to check my blood sugar after every meal for a week.  On July 19th I found out I am Pre-diabetic. Not something this chocoholic wanted to hear.  My doctor told me I needed to lose 25lbs and cut out carbs and sweets. So in a two week time frame I was told to reduce my sodium intake to help with the Meniere’s symptoms and then to basically give up every other thing I love to eat; pasta, pasta sauce, French fries, potatoes, macaroni  and cheese, doughnuts … you get the picture.  Being one who likes to follow the guidelines I started my new food journey. I eat granola and ½ a banana with blueberries for breakfast, raisins, plum or peach for snack.  Thanks to my friend Allyson Acker who modeled “whole” eating I have an egg, tomato and cucumber with almonds for lunch. Then supper is basically a small portion of meat, a green and something orange ( like a salad or asparagus with a baked sweet potato or cantaloupe).  After 3 weeks I’ve lost 4 pounds and feet great! This week I  decided it would probably be ok to feed my family spaghetti. The bad part,  I HAD to eat some too.  Eating a little would have probably been ok, but I tend to make enough for an army, so I ended up having it as my left over for the past two days L  I also indulged in the garlic bread.  So my point to this food blog is this:  You REALLY are what you EAT.  I have felt like crud the past couple of days. I found myself feeling bloated and eating tums.  I told Chris last night I couldn’t wait to wake up fresh and get back on track to healthy eating.  Yes, those are the words I NEVER dreamed I’d say, “get back on track with healthy eating”.  When I eat the “healthy, real food” I feel satisfied and I don’t get hungry so much in between meals.  When I went back to eating the “junk”, I had a very strong craving for chips and chocolate. There was a battle in my brain last night to say no to that junk, because I knew my body was full.   I was blown away by the powerful desire my mind had,  like an addiction, to the junk food.  I’ve often heard about our body craving more sweets, after indulging in sweets,  but I didn’t realize that feeling until yesterday.  I didn’t like that feeling and I don’t want to feel that way again.  Eating healthy is what’s best for my body and mind.  It gives me more energy to do what I need to do and to take care of my family.  It’s the right choice.  Praise God for freeing me from the addition of junk food one day at a time.  Feel free to help me along this journey with healthy recipes, encouraging posts, accountability questions etc.  I go back to the doctor in October and I expect to be released with a clean bill of health.  No more checking blood sugar and at the right weight for me.  Just as Philippines 4:13 says,  "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." We got this.   God bless you friend and reader.

 

Go be a blessing. . .

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy