Thursday, October 23, 2014

Our Halloween Ministry




I’ve spent a little time this morning reading other blogs on the history of Halloween and I’ve found that depending on whose article you read you can make it fit your belief system or not.  I want to share with you how we handle Halloween.  The bible tells us that we are to love one another.  As a christian I live in this world, but I am NOT of the world. There is a big difference. I have Jesus Christ living in me.  With that said, He has given our family the ministry of prayers and scripture to share with you. It all started back in 2008 when Olivia and I filled bags with candy and placed bible verses on each bag. She liked to go door to door trick or treating to some of our neighbors, but her real joy was in handing out those bags with bible verses. Over the years we started putting christian tracts in the candy bags. It is our way of sharing Jesus with all of those who come to our door. You can do it too. It's so easy to buy cute candy corn bags or even clear bags at the Dollar store.  Fill them with candy and add a tract or your own computer generated bible verses. Tracts can be found at your church or your local Christian Supply store.  Once the bags are made, we pray over them.  When the children come to our door we hand them a bag with a smile and just like that we have shared the love of Jesus.  By the way, we make age appropriate treat bags with lollipops and raisins for young children and chocolate and hard candy for older kids.  

Speaking of older kids ( you know those teens who come to your door) be good to them. I recently read a blog from a mother of a teen who totally changed my view of teen trick or treater's. I am going to try to link it here as I have gotten permission from the author and I have shared it on facebook. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marion-francktreaters_b_6030982.html
 
Being mom to a teenager her article really touched my heart and made me think.  Are any of us "too old" for candy? Too old for fun? Too old to dress up? Not at all. So let's cut them a break this year. There's not an age limit on having fun as long as they are respectful and not causing mischief.   We will be ready for the teens this year and welcome them just as we welcome all of the other trick or treaters.

I know the question may still be lingering in your mind, is Halloween evil? I think Halloween is as evil as the individual makes it. So instead of debating whether or not to acknowledge Halloween my thought is this; follow your conviction. As for me and my house we are going to serve the Lord.  We are in a spiritual battle 365 days a year, Halloween allows us to freely help children by covering them with prayer and scripture. I truly believe by sending them around with Jesus' name in their bag, bucket or pillowcase we will help protect them and make a difference in their lives on Halloween. Life is a choice. You can sit by and complain and argue opinions, you can choose to do nothing or you can take a stand and make a difference. The choice is yours. We choose to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. If you are interested in learning more just email me at susanbneal@gmail.com

Go be a blessing ... today and every day.

Love, Susan

 




 

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy