Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The steel rod in the road

It's only Wednesday and my van has been seen by a garage guy 3 times this week. Yesterday I took it to my brother-in-law's garage only to find out it needs $600 worth of work. I thanked him and told him not to schedule anything for now. He put air in all of my tires and sent me on my way. I went on two errands and came home for at least an hour before leaving for the car line at school. As soon as I pulled into the line I noticed a steel rod laying in the middle of the road. I thought it looked dangerous so I hopped out and moved it to the curb. While bending down to pick it up I heard this hissing sound. I looked over to find a huge cut in my tire. I'm talking about a "V" shape cut in the rubber. I did a 3 point turn in the car pool line and proceeded to park in the visitors parking at the school. I had to walk in and have Olivia called to the office since I couldn't drive around the school to pick her up. Then I had to call Chris and get him out of a meeting just to come to our rescue. By the time he got to the school my tire was completely flat. He took it off and dropped us off at home while he had it repaired. He soon returned to take us back to put the tire on. While he was working Olivia I walked over to get that steel rod. I wanted to keep it; seeing how it kept me from being broken down and possibly embarrassed in the car line. As Olivia and I walked to find it, it was no where to be found. I'm not sure who would have picked it up. I did tell the school officials that it was out there, but nonetheless ... I truly believe the Lord had that rod there for a reason. I could have ignored that steel rod and it's potential danger by staying in my van, but I didn't. I believe the Lord used that rod to keep us safe. After all I wouldn't have known about the cut tire if I hadn't gotten out to move it. I guess I'm telling this long story to say: sometimes when we see an opportunity to do the right thing we don't take it, but this is a simple reminder of the blessing we could receive if we'd only seize more opportunities. How many steel rods have you left in the road? Nothing happens in life by chance, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 Now the Lord gives us free will, so we can pick and choose. I could have chosen to ignore that rod and let someone else deal with it, but because I didn't ignore it, it saved me time and embarrassment. Everything; good, bad, convenient, inconvenient, happy and even sad happens for a reason. Will you allow God to use you in all circumstances? He's not going to send you through them alone? He will always be with you and guide you if you'll just accept him and trust his will for your life.

Look out for your steel rod today.

Blessing,

2 comments:

queenbee said...

Hey Soos ! I finally saw your blog...I love it ! And i love you, too ! Just wanted you to know i saw it ! leese

Laura said...

I love this story Susan. I do believe that God puts obstacles in our way for many reasons. Sometimes, like this, it may seem like a small obstacle but His reasoning may be huge. Look at 9/11. How many stories did we hear from people who should have been in the WTC??? They were all "running behind" because of some small delay. That "inconvenience" that the Lord put in front of them, saved their lives.

I love that you are able to find meaning in the small things in your life. Keep writing because you inspire me. :o)

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy