Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Family Write Night




Olivia's school had family write night last night & she, Chris and I went. One of the teachers read a story then they gave us the topic of "gifts" to write about. We were to write about a special gift or anything we wanted that had to do with gifts. Well, considering my birthday is this Friday, December 5th I wrote an interesting story about how much fun gifts were. I shared about how my husband always gets me a cake, flowers, card and gift because he knows that I make a big deal over birthdays. I don't care how old I am that is MY day and I love to celebrate it. This year I will be 39 and I am proud to say that. I once read that; "if a woman will tell her age, she'll tell anything." Well ... I don't know who came up with that because it is not true; I wouldn't tell you my weight for anything :-)

I do have a point to this story. In the midst of my selfish, "me" moment last night several others at the write night decided to stand up and read their wonderful stories. It was so sweet to hear how one little girl said her baby sister was the best gift and another person said getting a special locket was the best gift. A sweet older gentleman said that receiving a smile from a particular person was his most special gift. Wow!! Talk about my selfish story. Well, to redeem myself today I want to blog about a very special gift I received two years ago. I started to write about it last night, but it was personal and I thought I'd be emotional so I didn't share it, but since you are my friend I'll share it here.

Two years ago at the end of October I was over visiting mom and dad. Mom and I were talking about going shopping and she said "we don't need to go, we'll just buy something we don't need". I spoke up and said that I needed a new pair of black shoes to wear to church. Well, I left the room for whatever reason and came back to find that my dad had fixed one of the birthday cards mom had on hand for me and put cash in it (he always gave us kids cash so we could buy whatever we wanted). He said it's early, but I want you to have those shoes. Well, on that October day I bought a red tablecloth at Target and a week later I found the black shoes I was looking for ( I bought them both with the money he gave me). Who knew he would die 2 weeks before my birthday? Jesus did. When Dec. 5th 2006 rolled around my daddy was in Heaven, but because the Lord allowed I had an early birthday card from him to cherish and display. I keep it close by all year round and thank the Lord for that special memory.

We are not promised tomorrow so live today to the fullest. Do a kindness for someone else. Love your neighbor.

Love you,
Susan




3 comments:

Laura said...

Okay....that makes me want to cry! What a special gift!! :o)
Hugs, Laura

Melanie said...

WOW!!!! What a beautiful gift. Thank you for sharing that great story. You are exactly right. We need to live the moments we are given. One of my patients was told today that her breast cancer has spread to her liver. She is being placed on a chemo that is not a cure but to prolong the inevitable. She is such a sweet lady. I am reminded so many times at what a gift the Lord has given to me each day...life. It is not a guarentee to be lengthy but I want to live each day fully.
Thank you and HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY.
Always,
Melanie

Susan said...

You two are so special; thanks for the sweet comments. You'll never know what they mean to me. I love y'all.

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy