Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year - 2009

Soon I'll be at my mom's eating collards, black-eyed peas and buttered cornbread. Yes, I am a true southern girl. The old wives tale is; if you eat greens in the new year you'll have more "green" in your pocket book. I can't say that has ever been the case, but then again all my needs are met so maybe it is :-) I didn't always like collard greens or even green peas for that matter. When I was in college I met a guy who really stole my heart. He was a football player and had big dreams to make it in the pros. Well, we spent allot of time together and on more than one occasion we'd eat dinner at each others homes. One night his mom served peas ...yuck I thought, but to be polite I ate every one of them. I tell you they were delicious and I guess because I was in love I came to love peas. Well, new years rolled around and my mom cooked her traditional collard greens. When my guy walked in my parents home he said I smell collards ( you can't help but smell them). Guess what? he liked collards. So we ate collards and you guessed it I loved them. Why am I talking about my old flame? Well mom brought him up in conversation last night because of how he always liked greens and we were talking about collards. Right after he and I broke up I went on 2 dates then I met Chris. I knew from that moment I had met the man the Lord intended for me. Chris may not have been my first love, but Chris is my forever love. So this new year I thank the Lord for my Chris and our life together. I thank him for Olivia. I thank him for our family. I thank him for all of the wonderful people in my past who helped shape me into the wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend that I am today. I thank the Lord for special memories and I look forward to a new year to create more. I look back over my life and I feel blessed. I am who I am because this is who the Lord created me to be. Be who you are and who the Lord wants you to be. Be real.

Go be a blessing.

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy