Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Clean house vs. clean heart

This week I have been putting alot of energy into cleaning our house. I've moved clutter, rearranged pictures, sorted through drawers along with the regular dusting, mopping and sweeping. I was convicted a few minutes ago about how much time and thought I actually have put into my cleaning. The Lord said; "Susan you are so concerned with your house, how about your heart?" If I spent half the amount of time cleaning up my sin life as I spend cleaning up the physical dust in my real house, oh what a better wife, mother, daughter or friend I would be. I like things to be in order. I like beds made, drawers shut, clutter off the floors, cabinets wiped clean etc. ..., but what about me? What about the clutter of thoughts that fill my mind? I could be thinking on the Lord and His will or praying for someone who is hurting, but I let my own selfish thoughts get in the way. What about the to-do I make over having the house just right? What if I made the same to-do over having my life just right? I have to admit I am an obsessive compulsive cleaner; not sure why unless it's because my mom is one too. None the less I have learned today that I need to be careful not to put to much emphasis on the temporary, but to incorporate the eternal. Sure it's great to have a clean house, but it's better to have a clean heart.

Create in me a Clean Heart
(Keith Green)

Create in me a clean heart oh God
And renew a right spirit within me
Create in me a clean heart oh God
And renew a right spirit within me

Cast me not away
From thy presence oh Lord
Take not thy Holy Spirit from me
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation
And renew a right spirit within me

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy