Friday, September 4, 2009

Soapbox ... protecting children

What gets on your nerves? what stirs up that emotion that causes you to want to DO something? Child abuse and neglect is what sets a fire in me. Everyday it seems there are multiple stories of children being abused, neglected or killed by a parent or companion of a parent. What is this world coming to? I just read of where a mother left her 3 children ages 4, 2 and 1, unattended from about 3 to 4:30 a.m. Thursday. Yes, she just decided to get in her car and leave the house with those babies asleep. Last week or so I heard on the news of a boyfriend who was left to care for a 6 month old girl. He decided to hit her in the stomach and she died (he shouldn't have hit her anywhere she was only 6 months old!!!). What do we need to do to protect these children. Just this morning I had a prayer request from a friend to pray for the protection of a 10 year old from her mothers mood swings and rage. What are we to do ? Can we help? Yes, I believe we can. We have to #1 realize that these "mean" people are lost and in need of a savior. If they had Jesus living in their hearts they wouldn't want to hurt their children. We need to be about the father's business of reaching out to the lost. #2 We have to be vigilant. If you see a child in a situation that looks questionable, then question it. Protect that child no matter what. My heart is broken for these little ones who can't help themselves. Just yesterday I got an email about one of my daughters friends whose mom is an alcoholic. I know the mom, but didn't know she was an alcoholic ( she hid it well). My mother just last night told me of a family with 5 children who live on her street (they just moved in). The parents are never home and leave their 13 year old daughter to care for all of her younger siblings. DSS has been called twice. The 13 year old told my mom's neighbor that they didn't have food because her parents spend money on beer. My mom's church took them groceries. Y'all it is all around us ... people hurting ... little innocent children suffering. What will we do? What will I do? Join me in praying for the children. Join me in praying for the salvation of the parents. My heart breaks for the children.

"When Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, 'Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.' And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them."
Mark 10:14-16

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy