Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The bible is like a junk drawer

How many of us have junk drawers? I know I do.  I have one in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and even in our china cabinet in the dining room.  How in the world does a junk drawer form? I mean I never intended to have one when we moved here and unpacked our stuff.  What is in a junk drawer anyway? The one in our kitchen has a ruler, rubber bands, stickers, glue sticks, needle and thread, stencils, pencils, highlighters, reading glasses and fish food (we don't even have a fish).  Honestly, aside from the fish food most of the other stuff in our junk drawer isn't really junk.  As a matter of fact it is very useful stuff that is handy to have close by.  I don't need to have a drawer devoted to just rubber bands or pencils or thread and a needle, however, when a button pops off of a shirt it's nice to know that conveniently located in the kitchen is a handy needle and thread.  In all actuality a "junk" drawer has been given a bad rap, I mean being called junk.  It's really not a junk drawer, but instead a drawer of sporadically used necessities.  I suppose that title is to long and fancy so the name junk drawer was formed.

In some respects a bible is like a junk drawer; if you will.  Just like a junk drawer holds a sampling of needed items, the bible does too.  A needle and thread can mend a shirt and make it whole.  The word of God can mend what is broken and make us whole.  Just as glue sticks and rubber bands hold things together so does the word of God. Pencils and highlighters create words and bring out the ones worth reading over and over.  So to is the word of God worth reading over and over.  Each time I read God's word I learn something new.  Most of the time what I am learning is how much I really don't know.  Being a christian is a daily process of time spent with the Lord.  Time in the word and time praying, both of which I am a work in progress.  I do enjoy my quiet time in the morning.  I long for it and I am grateful that I don't have to be anywhere and can take the time to sit down and read and pray.  Many of you have to be at work by 8:00 so time isn't on your side.  Then when you get home you have to wash clothes, cook supper and tend to children or pets, so finding just the right time to have quiet may not come as easy in this season of your life.  Pray and ask the Lord to show you for the perfect quiet time.  It may be in the car or just before you turn out your light for sleep.  Regardless, keep your bible handy, like the junk drawer, and know that when you do go to God's word it won't return void ( meaning you won't be wasting your time).  Isaiah 55:11 New King James Version
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."
 
If I were to go into each room with a junk drawer and clean it out today I can guarantee you within a few months each "junk" drawer would reform.  It is not junk, but necessities.  So too is the word of God; it is NOT junk, but necessity.  Matthew 24:35 King James Version tells us that,
35 "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." Just like our junk drawers are here to stay so is the word of God.  We are told in  Hebrews 4:12 New King James Version
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

The intent in my heart isn't to make light of the word of God by comparing it to a junk drawer, but instead to shed light on the necessity and importance of God's word.  I hope you'll pick up your bible today and let the Lord speak to you through His very timely and helpful words.  If you don't have a bible and would like one private message me and I'll help you get one.

Go be a blessing . . .

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy