Wednesday, December 3, 2014

What does it mean to keep Christ in Christmas?



     What exactly does it mean when people say they are keeping Christ in Christmas? I mean, come on, He IS Christmas, right? How can you not keep Him in Christmas? If it wasn't for Jesus there would be no Christmas. Or they say, "Don't forget the Reason for the Season".  As Christians we know Christmas is the day of Jesus' birth, but sadly the world doesn't. We have to show the world who Jesus is and why He came.  We have to be the light in this dark world. We have to work to keep Christ in Christmas because the world wants to take His name off of everything. 

     Is it wrong to have Santa at Christmas? You do realize that you are lying to your children during one of the most holy months? Ok, I have to insert an LOL here. I loved the idea of Santa when I was growing up. I am glad my parents and brothers lied to me. It was fun to believe.  I'll never forget the year we bought our daughter a Barbie doll house. That thing was huge and mom had to come over with her power drill to help me put it together. We hid it and the box it came in, out in our storage building until Christmas Eve. After Christmas was over and we were putting our decorations back out in the building I kind of forgot to throw out the box. Well, one day Olivia came in from playing and she had found the box. She asked me why it was in the building if Santa had brought her the doll house. I'll never forget what I asked her, I said, "Do you want to hear the truth?" and she said yes. So that ended the Santa lie at our house. Hmmm, the thrill of waiting until she was asleep and making the trek in the dark with hidden gifts from the outbuilding was over.

   What about the trendy "Elf on the Shelf"? Apparently this stuffed Elf is supposed to be positioned in your home to watch your children, so he can report back to Santa if they are naughty or nice. I know some don't use the Elf in that watchful way. Some just have him pooping peppermint in the toilet or hanging from the Christmas tree. It is a fun way for them to interact with their children on the days leading up to Christmas morning. I've heard some say it's a terrible thing because you are making your children have good behavior for Santa and in return they will be rewarded with gifts.   I have a teenager so it's not an issue at our house. Goodness knows I am very thankful he wasn't around when my daughter was younger. The thought of having to come up with creative activities for him to get into gives me a headache. I am NOT knocking those of you who enjoy your Elf, I just know it wouldn't have been a cute thing at our house.  He would have remained true to his name, Elf on the shelf,  with dust on his shoulders.

     Getting back to Christmas.  Oh, we are still talking about Christmas right?  Santa and the Elf are a big part of the way the world celebrates Jesus' birthday.  What happens when your birthday rolls around? Do you get cards in the mail and calls from family and friends? What does Jesus get on His birthday?  I wouldn't say giving gifts to each other is like giving a gift to Jesus (even though that's what we do on His birthday). I think taking the time to pick out a gift for a family member or friend is a sweet act of kindness and I am sure the Lord does not frown on that act. I do, however, think that we could give a gift to the Lord by giving to someone in need. Maybe pack a shoebox, donate money to Toys for Tots, help Veterans, or volunteer at the shelter. I think when we do as Matthew 25:40 says, “The King will reply,  ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Doing for those in need is like doing for Jesus. I think that is one way to celebrate Christmas.

     As believers, followers of Jesus Christ, we should celebrate His birth 365 days a year, not just on Christmas Day. So how are you going to celebrate the birth of the One and Only Savior of the world? Are you going to Keep Christ in Christmas? Will you remember that He is the Reason for the Season? For me personally I love Jesus. My actions and the words from my mouth don't always show the depth of love that I have for Him. You only see a small part of who I am, but He knows me. He  knows my thoughts and the motives of my heart. He sees the sin in me, yet He loves me. What does Jesus want from me? What does He want for His birthday?

     Jesus commands us in John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." It's hard to love one another.  Honestly some people really get on my nerves.  I get upset when people want to take Christ out of Christmas.  People don't want Jesus mentioned anywhere. Recently a football player was on the news and when he started talking about Jesus, they cut him off and blamed technical difficulties. Please, we are smarter than that! There is power in the name of Jesus and one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord. Can I get an Amen?  

    Jesus loves you so much that He was born of a virgin on Christmas Day. He lived a sinless life and died on a cross for you and me. He was buried and three days later He arose. Jesus is alive !!! He is in heaven. He tells us in His word in John 14: 2-3 "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." Jesus is the best gift at Christmas and all year. If you haven't received His gift of eternal life, don't wait. Ask Him to be your Savior today.  You are the only gift Jesus wants and He is the only gift you need.

I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christ filled Christmas !!!!

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy