Monday, January 5, 2009

You'll be blessed ~ I promise

You know how I end my blogs with "go be a blessing" ? Well ... I have a story to tell. We have a program going on at our church right now where we have tickets to give out to invite people to church on Super Bowl Sunday. Obviously we are to invite people to church all the time, but this particular tool is to use the Super bowl as a means to bring others to come to know the Lord. People are passionate about sports and this is a good way to get their attention. Our church printed up tickets with all the information a visitor would need to visit (Sunday school times, worship times and even a map with directions to our church). We as church members write our name and telephone number on the "ticket" and give them out to those we'd like to invite. I have to say this is right up my ally. I grabbed a hand full of tickets last night and this morning couldn't wait to hand them out. Here's my story. I was in Ingles grocery shopping and found myself on an isle with a lady and her son. He had gauze in his mouth and was holding a balloon. It was obvious he had some issue with his mouth that required care. The mom and I spoke in passing. I have to admit I wondered what had happened to the little boy, but nosey me did not ask. The next isle over we passed again and then again. We both ended up at the meat counter wanting a small package of ground beef, but there wasn't any. I told her we should just shop together since we kept running into each other. I then proceeded to call over the meat man to request some ground beef, but he said all they had was ground chuck. Anyway, she and I stood there examining the meat and I looked up at her son (who must have been 2 1/2 ). She then volunteered that he had just come from the dentist and had to get his front teeth filled. I told him I hoped he'd feel better soon. I looked back at her and then looked at my list. I told her I probably wouldn't be seeing her anymore because after I grabbed milk and eggs I'd be gone. So we said good-bye. Well... on the way to the milk the Lord prompted me to give her one of those invitations to our church. (Problem: it was raining when I got out of my car so I left the stack of invitations on my seat). I went on about gathering groceries only to realize I needed batteries so as I stood looking for the right size, she came by and said "I thought you said you'd be gone by now"? I told her I had forgotten batteries. I ended up in line behind her and saw that she had on a jacket with a sports team on the back. Well ... the Lord was giving me another opportunity to say something like "hey I see you like sports would you be interested in coming to our church for Super bowl Sunday," But at that moment a girl I knew walked up behind me and began a conversation. She talked until the lady and her son walked out of the store. I started praying and hoping my opportunity hadn't just walked out the door, but I felt such a strong connection to this girl that I knew the Lord would make a way. Sure enough as I pushed my cart outside she was parked right in front of me :-) I hurried and put away my groceries and grabbed that ticket. I put my buggy in the buggy return (which was right beside us) and went right up to her. She was on her cell phone, but I said. "I'm sorry I see that you are on your phone. I go to church right over there (and pointed to our church) and want to invite you and your family to this event we are having on Super bowl Sunday. My name and number are right there, we have activities for your son too. Hope you can come." Bye. She smiled and thanked me and continued with her call. We both got in our cars, waved bye and parted ways. What a blessing to me that the Lord worked that out. I just knew he would. I don't know what it meant to her, but it blessed me. I prayed for her and her son as I drove home and I hope that she will call me and come. It was fun and exciting to try to take my own advice and be a blessing. Let's keep it up. If you have a similar story to share I'd love to hear it. Post it here.

Go, go, go be a blessing to others.

No comments:

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy