Thursday, May 22, 2014

What does your face book say about you?

Social media has certainly changed the way we live.   I used to love to read the paper ( hold it in my hand and read it).  Now I just read facebook for all of the latest news and updates.  It's not surprising to me how facebook has grown in popularity over the years. It's a great way for people to stay in touch. I honestly check it and comment many times throughout my day.  I have come to love my facebook friends and consider them family.

Facebook puts a "face" to a "book" in which we are writing each time we post something.  What does your facebook story say about you?  Some people put on a pretty face ( lots of them, in the form of selfies).  Others put out pictures of their children and family.  Many share pictures of their pets.  While others share bible verses, funny sayings or cartoons.  A new trend that is blowing up my news feed lately are solutions to weight loss.  Slim fast, Medi fast, Cleanse fast ... you get the picture and I'm sure you get the same posts.  People share their favorite sports team, recipes, garden tips, health tips, parenting tips, craft ideas and the list goes on and on.  I sometimes want to share all of my pet peeves; like how people who drive under the speed limit really get on my nerves, or how I hate green tums and see no point in them. Does anyone like the green tums?

My mom always taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.  I try to keep that in mind when posting.  You know in real life you can't take back what you say, but in written word you have the option to go back and change your mind.  I guess that's why I like writing.  I have time to think before I say anything.  That also puts an extra burden on guarding my heart and mind so my words are worthy.  The bible tells us in Ephesians 4:29 "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." I hope that my facebook posts shed grace on others and not something negative.  I have to work on this as I am human and like to stand up for the underdog. It's easy to get caught up in a thread of comments and slam others with our words.  I am thankful the holy spirit convicts me when I do that so I can make it right if possible.

Another thing I enjoy sharing on facebook are fun times with family and friends.  New experiences like our trip to Washington, DC last year or our adventures tent camping are a couple of my favorite posts.  As I share what's going on in my life other facebook friends share their similar experiences.  We have a golden opportunity to learn valuable lessons from those who've "been there and done that" before us.  None of us are too old to learn and experience seems to be a great teacher.

I use facebook to share prayer requests.  I share them for myself and on behalf of others. It's a great way to find out when someone is sick so that if you are able you can take them a meal or help out with their children. Since I don't read the newspaper anymore I often find out who has passed away through facebook.  In many respects it is a great way to communicate. Email is also a great way to communicate and due to an email I just received I have to share our fantastic news with you.  We are now a licensed and approved adoptive home!!! This means that part of what I asked you to pray for in my last blog post has been answered in our favor.  Praising the Lord with happy tears right now!! I will ask that you continue to pray for us as we are on this journey.  We are praying God's will for us and sweet T. 

Gee I was planning on taking this post in a different direction, but I guess I'll just stop my thought process here.  As the old hymn goes: Let's just praise the Lord, Praise the Lord ... Let's just lift our hearts to heaven and praise the Lord :)

Go be a blessing . . .



 

Forget Skinny, Find Healthy